The main difference between these two terms is the duration. The weather is the day-to-day or short-term condition of the changes in the atmosphere. And, the climate is the average weather condition of a particular place over a long time, about 30 years.
Like for instance, we talk about the weather in terms of “hot it will be today?” “Will it rain or not”? Or “What about the snowstorm this week”?. On the other hand, we observe climate changes in terms of years, decades and centuries and include statistical weather information.
Weather and climate are always interrelated words and are a bit confusing too. We check the weather forecast for our place to plan our days. Global warming and Climate change are very hot topics in the news around the world. And scientists are concerned about such variations in the climate of different places.
Observing the weather-changing patterns and global climate changes, it is uncertain to say that whether the sudden change in the weather on any particular day was the effect of climate change.
According to the study and research, our Earth is warming with high rate than it was in the past. At this moment we will be comparing the two terms which are ‘weather and climate’ with a brief description of them.
Content: Weather Vs Climate
|Basis for Comparison||Weather||Climate|
|Meaning ||Weather is day-to-day information of the changes in the atmospheric condition in any area.||Climate is statistical weather information that provides information about the average weather condition of a particular place over a long period.|
|Duration||The short term atmospheric condition of any place is the weather, which may vary by time-to-time.||The long term average weather atmospheric condition of a place or country is the climate.|
|Affected By ||Weather is affected by temperature, pressure, humidity, cloudiness, wind, precipitation, rain, flooding, ice storms, etc.||The climate is the long term observations of the atmospheric conditions at any location like humidity, temperature, the sunshine, wind, etc.|
|It affects the ||The weather may affect the day-to-day occupation, and it may hamper transportation services, agriculture, etc.||Climate significantly affects agriculture, industries, the livelihood of the peoples.|
|Changes observed||The changes in the weather condition can be observed very frequently.||The changes in climate take a longer time to change.|
|Studied by||Weather forecasting is observed by the Meteorological Department of any particular place, and the study is known as Meteorology.||The Climate Prediction Centre predicts climate and its study is known as Climatology.|
Definition of Weather
- Air pressure
Definition of Climate
Key Differences Between Weather and Climate
- Weather is day-to-day information on the changes in the atmospheric conditions in any location for a particular time. On the other hand, the climate is statistical weather information of a particular location over a long period of time, for a span of more than 30 years.
- Weather is the short-term atmospheric condition of any place, which may vary by time-to-time. For example throughout the night or day. Whereas, the climate is the long-term average weather atmospheric condition of a place or country.
- The factors like temperature, pressure, humidity, cloudiness, wind, precipitation, rain, flooding, ice storms, etc. affect the weather. While the climate is the long-term observations of the atmospheric conditions at any location.
- The weather may affect the day-to-day occupation as it may hamper transportation services, agriculture, etc. Whereas climate greatly affects agriculture, industries, and the livelihood of the people as it is for the long term.
- You can observe Changes in the weather conditions very frequently. But the changes in climate take a longer time to occur.
- Meteorological Department monitors Weather conditions and does the weather forecasting of any particular place. In contrast, there are specific climate prediction centres for climate prediction.
- The study is known as Meteorology while that of climate is known as Climatology.
Weather and climate seem to be interchangeable at some level, as they are affected by almost the same elements, but we came to know that the duration of occurrence is what makes them different. We can sum up by saying that “weather is what you get, but the climate is what you expect”.
amel fs says
NIRVAN GOYAL says
this blog is outstanding .Thank you for this.
JOYDEEP kour says
Thanks for the material ☺️😊
Good ,but still put in more effort and don’t make it to bulky but you guys tried, keep it up.
very helpful, thank u.
Ronij sandha says